Friday, July 28, 2017

Beach Town’s Transition from Gambling and Gangs to Gorgeous Gardens by Susan Harris

This week I visited North Beach, Maryland on the Chesapeake Bay, about 45 minutes from my home. I hadn’t been there since the 1980s, when I remember it as rundown and generally depressing.

A little research into the town’s history explains why. From Wikipedia:

The town was a gambling mecca for summer visitors from the Washington, D.C. area during the 1940s. In the 1960s and 1970s it became a destination for motorcycle gangs.

Sounds about right. But with post-hurricane rebuilding and a new mayor in 1999 came all sorts of revitalization, especially beautification through civic landscaping.

The bike path along the boardwalk got my attention with its stunning planter boxes, which use a different theme every 60 feet. I’m not sure how far this bike path goes but it’s so pretty, I want to bring my bike next time and find out.  When people pose for selfies with plants, town planners are doing something right.

Here’s a view toward the Bay.

Even more impressive is Sunrise Garden, a park at the main intersection in town. It’s a great example of civic landscaping that’s eco-friendly; it’s been certified as Bay-Wise.

  

This year North Beachers are excited to be in competition with just three other small towns in the U.S. (population less than 3,500) for a big America in Bloom award and all the bragging rights it could bring. I sure wish I had a vote.

Beach Town’s Transition from Gambling and Gangs to Gorgeous Gardens originally appeared on Garden Rant on July 26, 2017.



from Garden Rant http://ift.tt/2uEyZbT

No comments:

Post a Comment

First Lady Jill Biden and the White House Garden

Now that almost everyone concedes that the Bidens will be moving into the White House soon (hopefully, soon enough!), local garden writers ...