Friday, September 15, 2017

Gardening Podcast Update by Susan Harris

I’m thrilled to report that since 2010, when I complained about there being only two gardening podcasts on my little iPod, there are now many more and their quality is amazing! Here’s what I’m listening to now.

Jennifer Jewell’s “Cultivating Place”

Cultivating Place by Jennifer Jewell originates on National Public Radio, so its high production values are no surprise. That’s why I predicted that it would win the gold GWA Media Award for excellence in TV, radio, podcasts and special projects like my own.

Yep, I was one of the silver award-winners losing to Jennifer at the awards banquet in Buffalo, but no hard feelings! In fact, I’m happy it got Cultivating Place on my radar and on my iPhone because I’m thoroughly enjoying it, especially the episode with my pal Mary Ann Newcomer. (Her knowledge of the Inter-Mountain West is amazing and makes me want to see Idaho asap. I was listening carefully for her signature “Boy howdy!” and was not disappointed.)

Debra Prinzing’s “Slow Flowers”

A specialty podcast that’s impressive to the point of intimidating is Debra Prinzing’s “Slow Flowers,” with “news and insights of the American Grown flower movement.”

“Plantrama” with Ellen Zachos and C.L. Fornari’

New this year is Plantrama from the knowledgeable and obscenely articulate duo of Ellen Zachos and C.L. Fornari. And just look at them – can you resist hearing what they’ve come up with? Didn’t think so.

Joe Lampl’s “joe gardener”

Joe Lamp’ls joegardener podcasts are filling my podcast app (Overcast) with super-useful and scientifically up-to-date information that I’m recommending to beginners especially. TV-watchers can glean the same information from his PBS show “Growing a Greener World,” but with his podcast we can now learn while driving, working out and gardening.

Margaret Roach’s “A Way to Garden”

Notice in the graphic from Joe’s podcast page that he recently interviewed Margaret Roach? Her A Way to Garden was the first gardening podcast I started following, and I’ve never stopped. Her recent interview with Dan Hinkley on the topic of hydrangeas was enlightening for me, as are all the episodes about birds.

Jennifer Ebeling’s “Still Growing”

Jennifer Ebeling’s Still Growing is a recent discovery and I learned a lot about podcasting from interviewing Jennifer for this profile here on GardenRant.

Who Else? And Why?

With podcasts hotter than ever, I won’t be surprised to see even more of my garden communicator friends hitting the microphone soon. But to what end, I wonder. Can gardening podcasts attract enough sponsor income on their own, or is the goal to sell more books and book more talks?

Off-Topic 

I was curious to read in my 2010 post the list of nongardening podcasts I was listening to back then and discovered four that are still mainstays of my listening: Fresh Air, On the Media, Slate Culture Gabfest, and Studio 360. They’ve since been joined by The Axe Files, Leonard Lopate, The New Yorker, On Point, WTF, 1A, How to Be Amazing, and Savage Lovecast.

As a podcast-listening addict, I’m grateful to all these great talkers for their work but especially the articulate gardeners who’ve joined them. Keep those episodes coming!

Gardening Podcast Update originally appeared on Garden Rant on September 15, 2017.



from Garden Rant http://ift.tt/2jsGY8x

No comments:

Post a Comment

First Lady Jill Biden and the White House Garden

Now that almost everyone concedes that the Bidens will be moving into the White House soon (hopefully, soon enough!), local garden writers ...