Thursday, September 7, 2017

Milllennials love houseplants? Yay! by Elizabeth Licata

And it’s interesting, because I’m learning this just as I’ve begun to feel kind of blasé about my houseplants. I still have plenty, but I maintain them without as much interest as I used to—I get much more excited about my indoor bulb forcing projects, which fill the house in winter and dissipate with the coming of spring.

According to Washington Post style writer , twenty-and-thirty-somethings are using houseplants to fill the “void in their hearts.” Her youthful interviewees have as many as 50–180 plants filling their urban jungles. What our moms might have called “decorating,” the writer notes, these hipsters are terming “urban wilding” for their “jungalows.” It’s a hilarious but heartening report on the joy and despair inherent to interior plant care. Like finding plants covered in yellowing or browning leaves when they were healthy and happy just a few days previous. Like dealing with infestations when you hate using sprays. Like finally giving up and having to toss plants you’ve had for decades.

It’s all very familiar to me, and I’m thrilled if this is a real trend. Houseplants still get a bad rap, in spite of the efforts of  Tovah Martin (and other advocates). I wonder if these guys would like to try bulb forcing?

If you want to learn (and see) more, follow interviewee Hilton Carter’s Instagram account or look for the hashtags #urbanjungle or #plantgang.

Milllennials love houseplants? Yay! originally appeared on Garden Rant on September 7, 2017.



from Garden Rant http://ift.tt/2xRV3j5

No comments:

Post a Comment

First Lady Jill Biden and the White House Garden

Now that almost everyone concedes that the Bidens will be moving into the White House soon (hopefully, soon enough!), local garden writers ...