Friday, November 17, 2017

Video: Best-Performing Native Plants in my Garden by Susan Harris

These days we’re all paying more attention to beneficial wildlife in our gardens, and to that end, looking for good native plants to grow. But which ones? Those official lists of state or regional natives don’t really help the aspiring eco-gardener make their choices. Instead, I always recommend asking experienced gardeners.

Gardeners like me, for instance. In this short video I gush about the 10 best-performing native plants I’ve ever grown, and by that I mean they look great and are easy-care. No fertilizers or fungicides needed. And except for the Oakleaf Hydrangea, no regular watering after the plants are established.

They are: Black-Eyed Susans, Coreopsis, Purple Coneflower, Spiderwort, Joe Pye Weed, Golden Groundsel, Amsonia, Oakleaf Hydrangea, Crossvine, and Redbud. And in the video description on YouTube I add three “bonus plants” that aren’t in the video for lack of decent photos of them: Ninebark, Penstemon and Little Bluestem.

Books and articles about the benefits of native plants are important but photos of plants fully grown and looking great in a garden setting are what’s needed for me to spend my actual money on plants that don’t look like much in the nursery or in catalogs. And I’m not the only one, by far. Even eco-gardeners respond to beauty, after all.

Video: Best-Performing Native Plants in my Garden originally appeared on Garden Rant on November 17, 2017.



from Garden Rant http://ift.tt/2A7xFlP

No comments:

Post a Comment

First Lady Jill Biden and the White House Garden

Now that almost everyone concedes that the Bidens will be moving into the White House soon (hopefully, soon enough!), local garden writers ...