Friday, February 9, 2018

What Happens when a Rain Garden isn’t Weeded by Susan Harris

I love this rain garden in my neighborhood, on land owned by my co-op, even as it’s changed over the years.

There once were many more types of plants here, though without a plant list I can’t name them.

Here’s the only sign at the garden, an old, weathered one with information from a local RainScapes program.

The garden hasn’t been weeded probably ever, so the result is a garden of tall species that have successfully beat out shorter ones for dominance. I know some locals find it unsightly but it looks lovely to me, thanks to its location. I wouldn’t want it in MY tiny garden, of course, but in this spot – along the back of a bank of garages, in full sun and full view of passersby – I say “Hey, enjoy the tall meadow.”

Makes me wonder how many other rain gardens, lacking regular maintenance, have become dominated by tall species and whether money spent on short plants could have been saved altogether.

This close-up of the rain garden sign demonstrates how challenging plant selection is for rain gardens – what a tall order of plant qualities! – and has me concluding that rain gardens are jobs for professionals. Make that professional designers with specific rain garden experience who take into account the maintenance plan for the garden – if any.

What Happens when a Rain Garden isn’t Weeded originally appeared on Garden Rant on February 8, 2018.



from Garden Rant http://ift.tt/2H1gwdR

No comments:

Post a Comment

First Lady Jill Biden and the White House Garden

Now that almost everyone concedes that the Bidens will be moving into the White House soon (hopefully, soon enough!), local garden writers ...