Friday, December 7, 2018

Holiday Decorating for the Irreligious and Talentless

I recently searched on YouTube for “Christmas decorations with natural materials” and found a bunch of crafty people in the U.S. and England. This confirmed my assessment that I’m not one of them.

The photo above is as “Christmasy” as my front door will get this season. And honestly, my goal is decorating for the winter, so I use colors that don’t look like they need to go away on New Year’s Day, like red always does. I prefer blue, with a bit of silver. I leave it all in place until March.

In these pots next to my front door, where my favorite Iresines once dazzled, I use Juniper clippings with bits of possibly tacky extras from a craft store.

On my front patio, where ginormous Coleuses wow visitors in season, I used more Juniper clippings, this time paired with fake holly berries, on sale for a buck each. The trailing Sedum overwinters there just fine. (It’s S. sarmentosum, which grows around here like a weed.)

In my back yard, where the pots hold a different color of Iresine all summer, I’ve used blue ornaments and some natural stalks of something or other that have been sprayed silver. I’m not thrilled with this combo.

Indoors, I do even less decorating. Above this quilt in my dining room I hang a Christmas doodad I paid 3 bucks for at a church sale. Above the TV in the living room I hang a wreath, which could use a little more color, I think. I do like the way it looks with the birch tree stencil.

By now you see why I welcome your easy decorating ideas – as long as they don’t require actual floral design talents.

Holiday Decorating for the Irreligious and Talentless originally appeared on GardenRant on December 7, 2018.



from GardenRant https://ift.tt/2L3YPwt

No comments:

Post a Comment

First Lady Jill Biden and the White House Garden

Now that almost everyone concedes that the Bidens will be moving into the White House soon (hopefully, soon enough!), local garden writers ...