Friday, December 13, 2019

Fall Foliage in a Townhouse Garden

I would have shown you these fall photos of my garden in the actual fall if a technical glitch hadn’t kept me from posting here at all for a couple of weeks.

So imagine it’s mid-November in my back garden, where my recent shrub- and tree-buying is really paying off, small space be damned.

The Amsonia hubrichtii in the foreground looks great for a long time, as does the Oakleaf Hydrangea behind it. Further right and rising above the screen are the orange-tipped yellow leaves of Redbud ‘Rising Sun.’ Gorgeous.

On the sidewalk side of the screen you see the Redbud on the left, along with the red leaves of ‘Mt. Airy’ Fothergilla and purple leaves of a Purple Smokebush. Below them is a variegated evergreen Acuba ‘Picturata.’

Closeup of the Fothergilla.

Above is the view from my living room with three Japanese maples doing their fall thing. The new maples are ‘Osakazuki’ and ‘Orido Nishiki.’

On the patio you see the three pots that used to hold annuals, which were promptly decimated by deer. I replaced them with ‘Standing Ovation’ Little Bluestem grasses, as I reported in this post.

For winter I added a few artificial pieces for a bit of color to the pots. That’s it for “holiday” decorations in my back yard.

This photo was shot looking up from one of the Adirondack chairs on the patio. On the left is the only plant left that predates my moving here eight years ago, so I don’t know which Japanese maple it is. The ‘Osakazuki’ maple on the right is a recent addition.

Finally, here’s a real do-er in any garden, including this bit of city property I’ve adopted, not far from my house. It’s an ‘Ogon’ Spirea, which I can’t seem to get enough of, since I’ve planted them in all the gardens I tend. It’s the first to leaf out in spring and the last to lose leaves in the fall. Eye-catching in three seasons.

Fall Foliage in a Townhouse Garden originally appeared on GardenRant on December 13, 2019.



from GardenRant https://ift.tt/2ROAaS1

No comments:

Post a Comment

First Lady Jill Biden and the White House Garden

Now that almost everyone concedes that the Bidens will be moving into the White House soon (hopefully, soon enough!), local garden writers ...